It’s the start of another new year and tradition dictates that we come up with ways we want to improve ourselves in the coming year. Some argue that waiting until a specific day is silly, and that we should strive to better ourselves continuously. I understand where they’re coming from, but taking a day to reflect is never a bad idea. But before I go into my 2015 goals, here’s how I did on my 2014 goals:
- Learn Home Networking – Done!
- Organize Digital Collections – Maybe 75% there?
- Set Up a Home Server – Decided to go NAS instead. It’ll run cooler (it will be in the loft and that gets warm in the summer as it is) and take less energy. Plus, there are home NAS systems with RAID which I’d love to have.
- Ditch the Console – Honestly, it didn’t make financial sense. I’ll want to play it on my TV, and I really didn’t want to have to have a second computer just for that.
- Vlogging – I just haven’t found a way I want to do this. Plus, I’m pretty self conscious about my voice and the way I speak.
- Get Reviews Out in a Timely Manner – HAHAHAHAHA
Now, for 2015.
- Learn to Play Guitar – I’ve always wanted to learn guitar, but never have. Last year I picked up Rocksmith 2014 for my husband (he used to play, and was wanting to pick it up again) and recently I’ve been playing myself. It’s going pretty well, especially since I started at step 0. The muscle memory games and step-by-step song learning makes it feel achievable.
- Learn to Speak (at least) Basic Spanish– We live in a multicultural world, one where knowing multiple languages is becoming increasingly important. It’s time I started learning to speak something other than English. I’ll be using Duolingo to achieve this goal.
- Learn to Sew – This is the lowest priority as far as things I’d like to learn, so I’m not going to beat myself up if it doesn’t happen. But I keep seeing cute skirts and skater dresses on Pinterest claiming they are “easy to make.” I’d love to be able to expand my wardrobe with pieces I’ve made. I’m going to use Craftsy to find lessons.
- Continue to Increase my Audio Equipment Knowledge– I’m wanting to update my sound system around my turntable, but it’s hard to know what to do. The land of audio gear is complex, especially when numbers don’t tell the entire story and opinions are rampant. I’ll be sharing some things I find helpful with you throughout the year.
- Send Out Real Cards – I hate doing the impersonal Facebook birthday thing. I’m going to send out real cards. Although if your birthday is the beginning of this month, it’s going to be late. Give a girl a chance to ramp up. I’m using Postable for the moment, but I’m open to suggestions.
These are fewer goals than I had last year, but are more focused on expanding my own horizons and talents. They’re also ways to expand my creativity. I’ve been having problems writing lately, and I think part of it is all my creative energy has gone into blogging for the last two years that I need something new. By learning new skills, I hope to get over my writers block and blogger burnout.